Thursday, September 07, 2006


Dig music from the late, great Malachi Thompson.
This Sunday on Freedom Jazz Dance from 5-7 on 90.1 FM http://www.wdce.org/
804-289-UR90 Studio

Join me this Sunday for Freedom Jazz Dance--- modern jazz from bebop to freebop and beyond. This week I’ll be featuring a few cuts from the brilliant freebop trumpeter, innovator and educator Malachi Thompson, who unfortunately passed away this summer. I’ll also be spinning superior selections from Thelonious Monk, NYC saxophonist Steve Slagle and tenor titan Eric Alexander. I’ll also be cueing up a few choice 78s I recently acquired….forward to the past!

Call in at 804-289-UR90 to give your trash-or-treasure vote during my notorious Records From Aunt Ruth segment and compare jazz compositions during the FJD exclusive Two Of A Kind segment.

Freedom Jazz Blog Question of the Week:

Who’s the best trumpeter out there today?

Blog away! I’d love to hear from you. Virginia artists, please send me your latest gig dates so that I can post them.

Playlists for each show will be posted following the broadcast and new audio features will be added soon.

Dig.

Ken Hohman
Freedom Jazz Dance Host

5 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Confirming in writing my telephonic vote of "Treasure" in Records from Aunt Ruth segment. Had to skip out w/30 minutes to go, up till then my favorite track was "Bliss"! Thanks!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Your treasure vote contributed to a landslide victory for Chris Barber's Jazz Band. A treasure vote was sealed. Thanks for your vote.
Yes, that Bliss track is quite different in tone and, actually, stands out as a unique song on the entire recording as well.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Spoken like a true jazz trumpeter, Giz! Though I like taking the more subjective approach. It's more fun. In that regard, my vote would have gone to Malachi Thompson had he still been alive. I'd have to echo your Roy Hargrove vote, though I'd cast two second place votes for John D'earth and Rex Richardson. Most people vote a straight Dave Douglas ticket. He is damn great, but a lot of his compositions leave me cold. There's no denying his mastery though. And there is a big buzz surrounding every session he releases.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Ken said...

But let's not discount Wynton. Every time I hear him play I'm blown away by his technique.

Freddie is indeed playing still. He's been playing quite frequently with David Weiss's New Composer's Octet. David Weiss is a good player, too.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Freddie can do whatever he pleases. Any man who pulls his lip off during a cold weather concert has sacrificed all for the music. Eh?
I wish Rex would record more frequently. If he did, he'd set the jazz world on fire. Promotion, promotion, distribution, you know the story.
I actually think that Wynton's stuff has been very forward-leaning lately. The thing is, while I love his playing while I'm listening to it, I don't take away too much from it afterward. I'm not saying a song has to be "catchy." I guess I just don't find the songs memorable enough for my mind to replay them. KnowuttImean?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home