Thursday, August 24, 2006

Enter The Twi-Life Zone This Sunday On Freedom Jazz Dance.
This Sunday from 5-7 on 90.1 FM.

5 – 7 PM Sunday
WDCE 90.1 FM
Listen via streamcast at http://www.wdce.org/
804-289-UR90 Studio

Join me this Sunday for Freedom Jazz Dance--- modern jazz from bebop to freebop and beyond. This week I’ll be featuring the explorative genius of saxophonist Marcus Strickland from his new release Twi-Life, the wazmo walk of Jerry Vivino, piano master Roger Kellaway, the Roberto Magris Europlane, and early work from saxophonist Vincent Herring.

Call in at 804-289-UR90 to give your trash-or-treasure vote during my notorious Records From Aunt Ruth segment and compare jazz compositions during the FJD exclusive Two Of A Kind segment.

Freedom Jazz Blog Question of the Week:

What’s your favorite John Coltrane period…Prestige, Atlantic or Impulse years? Why?

Blog away, I’d love to hear from you.
Virginia artists, please send me your latest gig dates so that I can post them.

Dig.

Ken Hohman
Freedom Jazz Dance Host

4 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Ken said...

No hate there at all. That's so funny. No, it's just that, while he recorded one or two for Blue Note, it wasn't really a period for him. Although for as big a shadow as Blue Train casts, that one release is almost a period in itself, eh?
What's your all-time fave?

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Ken said...

A friend of mine who chose to e-mail rather than blog, wrote:

I'm not sure of the record label, but the stuff he did with Sun Ra was not pleasing to the ears. Too frenetic. I think his best tunes were the tribute to the church bombing in Birmingham, where the four little girls were killed, and my favorite things.

I don't remember a Trane/Ra session.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Ken said...

You were right, though. The Miles sessions most definitely are a period. I guess when I was setting up the parameters, I was thinking only of sessions under Trane's name. I'll correct myself on the air tomorrow.
Yeah, man. Thanks for the Wazmo!
Fun disc.
Dead trumpeters, now there's a blog item!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Ken said...

This comment came via e-mail from a knowledgeable friend...

My favorite Trane is from Newport '63 "I Want to Talk about You" - It has an over the top Five minute cadenza on it.

I must say that I do not have that one and I'm going to run out and obtain it. Anyone else familiar with it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home